About Us


2021 July – AGM Agenda

Trinity Players Barnsley

AGM Agenda

7.30pm Wednesday 14th July 2021


  1. Minutes of AGM 2019 (there was no AGM in 2020)
  2. Agree subscriptions
  3. Secretaries Report for the previous season including 2020 (2019/2021)
  4. Treasurers Report for the previous season including 2020 (2019/2021)
  5. Election of Officers
    1. The position of Chairman is due for election
    2. The position of Treasurer is due to election
    3. The Committee members for the forthcoming year
  6. Church Gift Day            
  7. Close

Any submissions for extra discussions must be submitted to the committee by 14th June 2021.  No further subjects will be discussed at the AGM although members are able to discuss items after the AGM closes.


THE NON-OFFICER MEMBERS on the committee generally take on other
tasks and responsibilities in addition to the decision-making function as part of the general committee. Some expertise in set design and construction, costume, publicity, fund raising, furnishings and properties, social events etc. are all useful to have within the committee. Other duties change as the committee and circumstances change.


This role involves chairing all the committee and society meetings and ensures fair discussion throughout.


This role involves being responsible for all financial matters, reporting on play profitability and presenting society accounts at the AGM as well as cooperation in regular Committee meetings.


2021 April- Newsletter

We hope this newsletter finds you all well and in good spirits as we start to plan the coming year after Annus Horribilis. 

To get started, several members have been producing and recording short plays which have all been posted on the Trinity Website under the title Radio Trinity“. Pop along and have a listen?  Each lasts for a few minutes and are well worth the time. Click the image below to go there now.

Our 2021/2022 plan is below but just bear in mind that all schedules are dependent upon restrictions lifting as planned by the government. The salient dates being;
Monday 12th April – Non-essential retail and hospitality venues will be allowed to serve people outdoors
Monday 17th May – Indoor hospitality will reopen including theatres & cinemas with 50% audiences
Monday 21st June – The government hopes to be in a position to remove all legal limits on social contact

The full govt timeline can be seen by clicking the link below

We are therefore planning to re-open the Theatre doors for social meetings on Wednesday 19th May and Saturday 22nd May.  Some repairs and maintenance is required to the hall and helping hands will be welcome.

Our opening show will be Alan Bennett’s Talking Heads, directed by Paul Taylor and is to be performed 8th to 11th September 2021.  This has been in rehearsal during lockdown and is fully cast, however we understand at least one of the cast hasn’t learnt her lines yet (no names or surprises there then)

Following closely will be the 3rd Junior’s Showcase on 9th and 10th October (Saturday evening and Sunday matinee).  Joe Battye and Rachael Sharpe are directing and producing this one.  The Juniors are also setting up a Junior’s Committee and always looking for new members to take part in their productions.

We are also working closely with John Hopkinson at Tankersley Welfare Hall with a view to touring one of our shows so Bob Willerton will be directing “Sod’s Law” by Doncaster playwright Will Templeton on 14th, 15th and 16th October at Pilley with a further 3 shows the following week at the Trin on 21st, 22nd and 23rd October.  The play has 4 female and 4 male parts and auditions will be after 21st June to give once Bob time to recover from a rather nasty bout of Delhi belly.

We have started planning the Panto which will be performed on 14th, 15th, 16th, 21st, 22nd and 23rd January 2022.  Jane Laverack will be directing her own version of Dick Whittington with the assistance of Joe Battye.  She will need assistance from members where necessary particularly costumes.  Read-throughs/auditions will be on 15th and 22nd September.

The AGM will be Wednesday 14th July 2021 at the Trinity Hall.  The usual committee elections will take place with several vacancies becoming vacant.  Notably Graham Myers tenure as Chairman is at an end and he is not standing for re-election.  A formal agenda will be produced and circulated in June.

We will look forward to seeing you all again very soon but in the meantime, stay safe.


2020 September – Newsletter

Meeting 14th September 2020
(Via Zoom)

Members present Graham Myers, Ruth Willerton, Jim Parkinson, Neil Barham, Loz Dobson, Barbara Parkinson, Jane Laverack, Len Padgett, Joe Battye (part of meeting).

Apologies Dale Rivers

The meeting started with the Chairman posing the question = What if anything can we do regarding rehearsals given the the rules set by the Synod, NODA and Government?

The discussion that followed was mainly concerned with the rehearsal of Talking Heads, directed by Paul Taylor

Jim Parkinson pointed out that the first thing we need in place is a Risk Assessment.

Graham Myers said that he would circulate to committee members a copy of a Risk Assessment ha had from another theatre. Committee members could then give feedback and our own Risk Assessment could be drawn up.

No rehearsals in the hall are to take place until the Risk Assessment is in place.

Graham said he would communicate this to Paul and that in the meantime Paul could go ahead with rehearsal via Zoom or perhaps in people’s own homes. However when the Risk Assessment is in place and if the Government’s Rule of 6 is still in place then Paul and only one other could meet at Trinity to rehearse. At the moment they would also need to socially distance and wear a face mask during the rehearsal in the hall.

Barbara said she thought the Synod would allow a visor instead of a face mask but would check.

The next question was about Performance and Audience.

Firstly we need to find out if the Synod will allow an audience in the hall.

Barbara said there is a meeting of the Synod on Tuesday 22/9/20 and she would ask. It was pointed out that certain professional theatres are being allowed to open up on a trial basis but with socially distanced audiences.

There is no clear guidance for amateur groups.

Ruth pointed out that there was a lot to take into consideration around a performance as it involved not just the actors and audience but Back Stage Crew, FOH, Kitchen and toilets.

Barbara asked what other local theatres were doing and Graham and Ruth suggested that perhaps they may do individual performances for small audiences at no charge. However nothing was likely to happen until the beginning of October.

Ruth asked if in a Trinity Newsletter it could be shared that when the COVID 19 situation improves we have plans for play readings and performances lined up. Productions still in the pipeline awaiting changed in the rules are Macbeth, Talking Heads and a Pantomime.

Trinity Juniors
It was hoped that there would be a Trinity Juniors performance online on 19th September. However as Joe had left the meeting no further details were available. Joe had been working with Matt Cooper to see if the performance was possible. Loz said she would contact Joe for further details as the link needed to go out on Facebook.

Jim informed the committee that the insurance policy was due for renewal and it was agreed that it be renewed and paid for.

Ruth is currently in possession of Phil Johnson Trinity History File which is also available for viewing on our website.

It was felt that when perhaps we are clearer about what the COVID situation is in January then we would look as to how much rent we will pay for the hall.

Next Meeting Monday 26/10/20 @7pm


2020 August – Newsletter

Meeting Dated 4th August 2020
(Via Zoom)

In Attendance: Lorraine Dobson, Dale Rivers, Ruth Willerton, Barbara Parkinson, Neil Barham, Jim Parkinson, Graham Myers, Jane Laverack

Apologies: Len Padgett

Hi Everyone,

The Trin Committee has met again to review the current Covid situation and other business.

Despite recent relaxing of the Covid restrictions, the committee is taking a cautious approach and so all committee meetings will be held on Zoom.

We are not yet allowed access to the church hall and await the church and/or associated parties to supply a Risk Assessment before setting a date for our return but we hope to have an update for you very soon.

A budget was agreed for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for when we do get back to some form of normality. Trinity PPE will include re-usable visors for rehearsals, alcohol-based hand sanitiser, signage, cleaning sprays and cloths, paper towels and soap. Please note: you will be responsible for your own facemasks and one should be worn at all times.

As well as giving themselves a snazzy new name, the ‘New Premises Action Group’ have been busy looking at alternative venues for rehearsals and shows. The Trin will be our home for the foreseeable future however the current situation and other issues may mean we could need alternatives so we are looking ahead and being prepared.

We are looking into two options for our next production but much depends on how the situation develops over the coming months. Options on the table are:-
1. A Pantomime in March/April with rehearsals starting in January
2. A production with a solo cast member possibly two, and perhaps using a larger venue.
Talks are in progress so more info later

PICNIC – Sunday 9th August
A quick reminder that we are all meeting on Sunday 9th August in Cannon Hall park from 4pm – 6pm. Bring your own food and drink and sit in your own family circles. There is a large car park (opposite the garden centre) just adjacent to the grassy area above the lake which should accommodate numbers, and the car park should stay open till early evening. Be aware that the garden centre car park closes at 5pm.

A ZOOM INTO THE PAST – Sunday 23rd August
During the lockdown and before, Phil Johnson has amassed a great deal of historical information on the Trinity Players.  We have been collating this information which includes photos, press cuttings and more, and plan to launch it with a 30 minute Zoom session to all who want to join us.  Keep an eye on the Facebook page for updates.  There will be another email nearer the time.

TRINITY JUNIORS – Satruday 19th September
Joe, Rachel and the team have been busy planning the next Juniors showcase. The date is set as 7:30pm on Saturday 19th September. It will be live streamed and we will be setting a token charge for tickets. More details via our website, the Juniors website & our Facebook pages. An email will be going out later this month with full details.

We have not agreed another meeting date yet as it will depend on the ever-changing Coronavirus situation however we are likely to meet towards the end of the Summer.  If you have any suggestions, ideas or comments, please do not hesitate to drop us a line via email


2020 June – Newsletter

Meeting Dated 16th June 2020
(Via Zoom)

In Attendance: Lorraine Dobson, Dale Rivers, Ruth Willerton, Barbara Parkinson, Len Padgett, Neil Barham, Jim Parkinson, Graham Myers, Jane Laverack

Apologies: Joe Battye

The Trinity committee met remotely and with the assistance of technology, namely Zoom.  It was a strange meeting in that one has to conduct oneself very differently over this medium but overall it went very well.

Covid-19 – Coronavirus
As lock-down restrictions are being lifted, it was felt that the committee should meet to investigate how the Trin could prepare for our reopening, address any outstanding and important issues and collaborate to release this newsletter to keep everyone up to date.

The main message is that we are very unlikely to re-open in 2020 and whilst we are working on various ideas in the meantime, the next play that we perform in a conventional way is likely to be in the Spring of 2021.  This is a rapidly moving predicament so this message could change but with the best information available, this sad decision was unanimously agreed.

Risk assessments are underway in line with government guidelines.  For instance, new seating plans, the need for more performances in order to facilitate smaller audiences, more front of house staff to assist the audience and keep them safe.  And whilst we cannot currently make any decisions on whether the Panto will go ahead next winter / spring, we have left open the possibility of a pantomime run later than usual eg March / early April.

AGM 2020
The next item on the agenda was the forthcoming Annual General Meeting which we usually host in July.  Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, it will not be possible to host an AGM so it was decided to postpone it until such time as we’re in a better position.  The committee also agreed to continue in their current posts until that time or a time when we can facilitate some form of AGM.

Church and Hall Update
The church remains closed as to be expected and we are not allowed to use the hall facilities until further notice.

Future Premises
We are always interested in performing at different locations which may be desirable and indeed necessary given the Covid situation.  We have therefore decided to look at other venues which are currently being short-listed.  Bob Willerton is forming a sub-group along with Joe Battye, Neil Barham, Jim Parkinson, Jane Laverack.  I’m sure Bob would like to hear from you if you have any suggestions for venues.

The Trinity finances were discussed and we retain a healthy bank balance with few ongoing over-heads.

Bill’s Bequeathment
As you may recall, Bill Moss left a sizable amount of money to the Trin in his will.  We are looking for suggestions on how to use the £1,000 that was left.  We could invest it in the Trin or use it for a more dedicated purpose.  Please send any ideas to the committee and we will discuss it at our next meeting.

Trinity Archive
Over the past few years, Phil Johnson has been uncovering information regarding the history of The Trinity Players.  He has amassed an archive going back to 1932!  This information is currently being migrated to the Trinity Website.  There is a lot of work to do but you can nip over there now and have a look at the work in progress [click here]. The grand plan is to finish the project then launch it via a Zoom meeting with a walk-through hosted by Phil Johnson and a question and answer session.  Whilst we have not yet set a firm date, we hope to bring this to you sometime in July so keep an eye out for an announcement.  And if you have any old programmes, photos, press-cuttings, etc., please scan and send them to Phil.

With the successful streaming of our last panto, ‘Aladdin’ and the Trinity Junior’s ‘Lights, Camera, Action’ in April we have decided to stream more of our productions via our website.  If you have a preference, please let the committee know.  Also we have previously streamed on Sunday afternoons but perhaps a Monday evening would work better as the weather improves and lockdown restrictions ease. What do you think?

Next Meeting
We have not agreed another meeting date yet as it will depend on the ever-changing Coronavirus situation however we are likely to meet towards the end of the Summer.  If you have any suggestions, ideas or comments, please do not hesitate to drop us a line via email


2020 March – Coronavirus Message

16th March 2020

Dear members, friends and colleagues

With the evolving situation with Covid-19 (aka Coronavirus) where government experts are currently predicting there could be a large number of the population who contract the virus over the next few months, it has been necessary to review how this is likely to impact the Trinity.  We must ensure your safety and so, it is with regret that we will be postponing the forthcoming play, ‘Farndale Avenue Housing Estate Townswomen’s Guild Macbeth’.  We will advise of new dates as soon as we are able.

Those who have bought tickets should hold on to them but if you require a refund, please contact the box office.

Those who bought tickets via the website need take no action, your tickets will be valid for the next date.  If you require a refund, our box office suppliers are waving cancellation fees. The full ticket value will be refunded along with your booking fee.

We hope you understand the reason why we have had to take this action.  It is with your best interests at heart and we remain dedicated to our theatre going friends.  We look forward to seeing you later in the year when we can bring this fantastic production to the stage.

Note: The evening viewing of “Someone Who’ll Watch Over Me” this weekend is also postponed.

More information on the Coronavirus can be found on these links
NHS Website – https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
Official Governtment Info – https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public
Infections and Death stats – https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
BBC News Ticker – https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/coronavirus



2020 February – Newsletter

Meeting Dated 4th February 2020

In Attendance
Joe Battye, Ruth Willerton, Barbara Parkinson, Jane Laverack, Len Padgett, Neil Barham, Jim Parkinson, Graham Myers

Lorraine Dobson, Dale Rivers

Pantomime Update
The Committee would like to say a massive thankyou to everyone involved. The shows were a massive success with around 90% of the seats available being filled. Comments from visitors leaving were wonderful and it was clear that children (and adults) both on and off stage enjoyed the experience thoroughly which was great to see.

Final details are not yet complete but it is clear that the society has made a reasonable surplus from the production, which will be put back into future productions.

The committee has agreed to make an additional £150 contribution to the church to cover the additional heating used during rehearsals and the shows.

JP will provide the final figures when they are available but we currently have around £4,000 surplus from the shows.

Pantomime – In future, the room used for costumes will be available to locate any valuable items and the key will be retained by Mr Barham. Everyone is reminded that they are responsible for valuables that they keep with them.

Other shows – We will utilise the Vestry to store valuables, but once again colleagues are reminded that they will be responsible for any valuables not stored securely.

An email will be sent to everyone participating in future shows reminding them of this situation.

There are no issues to report specific to Trinity Players.

However, we still need a number of Ladies and Gentlemen to come forward and undertake Safeguarding training and achieve registration. The process is not arduous but additional numbers are required.

The current strategy is clearly working from a pantomime perspective (1 advert) due to the high attendance but we need to monitor the impact in future shows (normally 2 adverts).

It was agreed that we need to reach out to the local Community as well as local Community Centres. We need to advertise what we have got planned as Trinity Players and what the church have got planned.

JL will contact Phil Johnson regarding designing a leaflet and JB will put together narrative for the leaflet.

Can members and friends please let us know where they would be willing to put up leaflets (shops, post offices, supermarkets etc) and flyers regarding the work we do as well as advertising for future shows.

Mr Rivers will organise a section of the Facebook page for the Juniors.

Performance Dates
The following dates have been set aside in the calendar:
July Show 15 th to the 18 th of July
October show 14 th to the 17 th of October
Junior Performance 19 th to 20 th September

However, the dates are dependent of Directors coming forward with plays.

Can members please let us know if they are willing to direct plays and possibly, which play they would like to direct

External Funding Opportunities
We are exploring other sources of income to keep the Society and Church open for as long as possible.

If members and friends are aware of other sources of income/grants could they please make the committee aware so that we can follow up on the possibility.

JB to follow up on current leads.

Future of Trinity Players
Joe Battye, Jane Laverack, Bob Willerton and Jim Parkinson will form a group to explore other venues if that is required in the future.

Other members and friends would be welcome to join the group or provide information if they feel other venues would be suitable.

As a society, we love to support good causes. Clearly, we are unable to support every good cause but we would like to suggest that during each show, half of the takings raised from the raffle and sales of goods from one days show is donated to a charity.

Could members and friends please let the committee know if they feel we should support a particular good cause

Front of House, Chaperones and Raffle Prizes
You will have already noted the need for Chaperones. In addition, we need members and friends to volunteer to work Front of House. One of the pantomime shows was close to being cancelled due to the numbers coming forward.

Any bottles of wine, boxes of chocolates or boxes of biscuits donated for raffle prizes will be greatly appreciated by the committee.

Proposed Social Events
A guided trip to a theatre.  Mr Harley has agreed to organise a theatre trip. This will be to the Georgian Theatre Royal in Richmond on Saturday the 1 st of August. Could those interested please respond to Ian dircetly on Ianharley48@gmail.com by the 25th of March at the latest so Ian can book the event accordingly.

Good Friday Ramble commencing from Dodworth train station and proceeding to Penistone. We may call into a hostelry for refreshments during the ramble.  Joe Battye to organise and further details regarding start times will be decided once we know the numbers involved. Likely to start around 10 am.  Can those interested please reply to this email accordingly.

Date of Next Meeting
Monday 9th March at 6.30


2019 October – Newsletter

Attending Graham Myers, Ruth Willerton, Barbara Parkinson, Len Padgett, Jim Parkinson, Neil Barham, Loz Dobson, Dale Rivers

Apologies Joe Battye

Karen Slater has recently resigned from the committee

Murdered to Death
A healthy profit was reported.
Feedback from the director was very positive and Jane is rightly very proud of the show in general, the feedback she has received and the fantastic performance of the actors.  A negative was regarding poor rehearsal attendances and the disruption this caused. 

Poor Attendance at Rehearsals
The committee would like to emphasise this to all members and that participants in future productions must fully commit to attending as many rehearsals as possible and if unable to attend, the responsibility on providing a stand-in is wholly and fully theirs and not anyone else’s.  In future, the Trin will intervene when circumstances demand, to support the director in this area.

Committee Member Required
Karen has sadly resigned from the committee and we are keen to invite a replacement.  The main duty of applicants would be around the marketing area as we realise that this is key to the success of the Trin.

Raffle Prizes
We agreed to set a budget for prizes for forthcoming shows and will produce a shopping list for shows.  It was agreed to set raffle tickets at £1 per strip

Play Dates
Dates were set for Spring: 22nd to 25th April 2020, Summer; 15th to 19th July 2020 and Autumn; 7th to 10th October 2020.  The Spring play is already set and will be directed by Helen Watson.   Applications are welcome for the Summer and Autumn sets.  Both plays and directors.  Please email the committee directly.  You will be asked to join us at a meeting to discuss your ideas.  PLEASE DO NOT discuss it with Bob in the pub and expect it to happen 🙂

Front of House
We do need more people to come forward and volunteer for FoH duties.  If you or any of your friends would like to assist, it’s open to anyone and really is quite rewarding

Panto – Aladdin 2020
We will be doing 8 shows at the Panto this year
There will be an after-show party the week following the Panto – set the date!
We are building a friends email list for contact with the Panto mums, etc
We have a number of chaperones but need more.  If you would like to volunteer, we will pay for your certification.  Apply to Ruth Willerton


Ladies and Children’s Fashion Show
High Street Labels at Affordable Prices

THURSDAY 24 th OCTOBER 2019 @ 7pm (Doors open 6.45pm)

£2 Entrance
Prepaid tickets include free draw to win £50 to spend on the night
Tickets available from the Lamproom Box Office or website
Tel: 01226 200075 – www.barnsleylamproom.com
Or Pay on the door


2019 July – AGM Newsletter

Apologies were received and given for the following members
Helen Watson, Keith Watson, Peter Horner, Sally Davies, Anne Prew, John Ryall, John Parker, Joe Battye and Dale Rivers

Opening Remarks
The Chair commented on another very successful year with four excellent plays. He thanked all involved in the society for their efforts and particularly thanked Jo Morfitt for the success with the pantomime and Paul Taylor for directing two plays consecutively. It was also great to see new directors emerging. The emergence of a Junior group was also noted and was agreed that this was excellent for the future of the Society.

Sandra Thornley Tribute
Karen Slater led a warm tribute to Sandra and this was enhanced and echoed by a number of colleagues.

Secretaries Report
No report was issued due to the expected absence of the Secretary.

Treasurers Report
Details had been issued by the Treasurer in advance of the meeting and the results for the year were recorded. Profits from the plays were made as follows:

Comfort and Joy £1,203.49
Scarlet and the Enchanted Forest £3,739.49
Death Trap £685.12
Someone Who’ll Watch Over Me £87.03

A net profit for the year was recorded as £2,309.59 and this had been enhanced by the receipt of £1,000 from the Estate of the late Mr Moss.

The current Balance for the Players was recorded as £10,290.94

Election of Officers
The role of Secretary was due for renewal and Dale Rivers was will to continue in the role. This was agreed by members.
Joe Battye had been chosen by the Committee to act as Vice Chair during the year following a resignation. This continuation was also agreed by members.
Zena Claire and Hazel Armitage had decided not to be considered for Committee for the upcoming year and are thanked for their contributions. The two vacancies were filled by Ruth Willerton and Len Padgett. No other members wished to be put forward for the roles.

Church Gift Day
After a short discussion, it was agreed that two payments of £1,000 were to be made in July and January to support the finances of the Church rather than the full payment in November as in previous years.

Call for Chaperones and Front of House
It was discussed and noted that more Chaperones were required due to the rise in Junior participants. Members were also encouraged to consider undertaking Front of House duties particularly during the pantomime when so many other members were either on stage or back stage.

Committee Proposals
50p Charge for Refreshments during Rehearsals. 10 voted For and 5 Against. Proposal Agreed
50p Charge for Refreshments on Wednesday. 16 voted For and 2 Against. Proposal Agreed.
Increase Subscriptions from £5 to £10. Unanimously Against. Proposal Refused.

Future of trinity Players
An email prepared by Joe Battye was read out to Members by the Chair. Discussions took place and whilst it was agreed that the desire was to remain at the Church premises for as long as practical, it was agreed that the Society should prepared to look to secure other options. It was agreed that a working Party should be established to look into other venues and costs. Names to be forwarded to the Chair.

Call for Front of House and Greater Involvement in Trinity Church
Following on from the previous discussion, it was suggested that the best way to ensure the Church premises are available is to add numbers to the congregation and become involved in the Church. The Juniors performing for the Church and Trinity Players putting on coffee mornings were discussed.

Members were also encouraged to consider undertaking Front of House duties particularly during the pantomime when so many other members were either on stage or back stage.

In essence, the Society belongs to all members. Any ideas and proposals for future involvement, Income generation or marketing strategies could either be sent through Committee members or by attendance at a meeting.

Closing Statement
Members were thanked for their attendance and their involvement in the meeting.


2019 June – Newsletter

Following a committee meeting on 3rd June 2019, please read on…..

After discussions, we are delighted to announce that the 2020 Pantomime will be directed by Alice Love. She has adapted Aladdin from the version we did some years ago. The dates are 17th, 18th, 19th 24th, 25th and 26th January 2020.

Andrew Crossland invites everyone to a reading of his latest play on Wednesday 17th July at the Trinity Hall.

As the AGM approaches, (24th July), the committee have been setting out the agenda points – more later but a sneek preview reveals some changes we want to make to rehearsals, some ideas for future funding, some information regarding our premises and a call out for willing members to become chaperones. Of the 6 committee members, 2 do not wish re-election whilst the others are happy to stay in post if re-elected. Also, the Secretary position is up for re-election.

Paul’s current play, “Someone Who’ll Watch Over Me” is progressing well and he has the following message to the membership.

“Good Morning fellow members.
I wish to solicit all your help with ticket sales for this outstanding play.
We have only three characters/actors so sales from the cast will be relatively less than for a large cast play.
The three actors are doing an absolutely fantastic job and are working very hard as they have so much to do.
The story line gives rise to much humour – sometimes gentle – sometimes madcap – sometimes dark.
There is also much pathos and high levels of emotion.
You can sell tickets for this production confident that Michael Cutts, Ian Davies & Phil Johnson will entertain & make you as proud as they do me.
Thank you all.”

Finally, we have decided to withdraw the members email address with immediate effect. We owe a duty of care to our members and as a responsible organisation, we must control the content and frequency of emails. If you would like to send a message to the members, please advise the committee with the full details (committee@trinityplayersbarnsley.com) and it will be reviewed along with any other requests and distributed within a few days.



2019 May – Newsletter

Trinity Newsletter

After a committee meeting on 29th April 2019, please note the following points.

Our recent performance, Deathtrap was a very successful production. The financial officer reported a sound profit with great attendances and excellent feedback. Thanks to the director, Paul Taylor for another cracking play.

Rehearsals are underway for the Summer play (10th to 14th July) for Someone Who’ll Watch Over me under the directorship of Paul Taylor. As ever you are welcome to come and watch rehearsals on Wednesdays but Paul asks that you keep the noise levels low to help the cast concentrate.

Jane Laverack has been having read-throughs for the Autumn play (9th to 12th October), Murdered to Death and has selected her cast.

Alice Willerton would like to invite members to attend a read through of her adaptation of the Aladdin Panto on Wednesday 15th May at 7:30pm in the upstairs room at the Trin.

Meanwhile Joe Battye has started working with the Trinity Juniors for a repeat of last year’s event. There are approximately 27 children involved and instead of one night, this year there will be a show on the Saturday night with a matinee on the Sunday. The format is still work in progress but Joe suggests that the 1st act will be a panto written by the cast and the 2nd act comprised of a dance and song showcase and a tribute to world war one. Tickets will be available soon and will be based on voluntary contributions.

The AGM is set for Wednesday 24th July 2019. Suggestions for the agenda are welcome. Please submit these by June 24th (30 days prior to) as entries after this and on the day will not be permitted.

Of particular concern is ideas for revenue generation to protect the Trin into the future and beyond the current premises.

Peter and Jeff have offered to host the Trinity BBQ at their home in Langsett on Saturday 29th June. All are welcome, more details to follow.

The dates for future performances have been agreed as
Pantomime – the weekends of 18th and 25th January 2020
Spring play – Apr 22nd to 25th April 2020
The Trin now have a 12 month rolling programme

It is noted that the recent enhancement of the raffle prizes, mainly by Joe Battye where several items are decoratively wrapped in a bouquet style are very well received and we will continue to do this for future performances.

The next committee meeting is scheduled for 3rd June 2019 and if you would like the committee to discuss anything at that meeting then please email the committee directly.


2019 March – Newsletter

Following a cracking pantomime run we launch into 2019 with something for everyone. But first, a special thank you goes out to Joanne Morfitt for all the sweat, tears and effort she put into this year’s “Scarlett and the Enchanted Forest”. The audiences loved it and so did the cast. It will put us in a perfect position for next year’s extravaganza.. We’re equally grateful for Jo Battye as once again, she choreographed the kids into an amazing performance with a selection of songs and dances and a crashing big number to send the audiences home smiling.

That’s not to diminish the special efforts put in the crew headed by Neil Barham, grumbling his way through the set and shouting at people but putting on a wonderful stage for us to perform on and Jim Parkinson on sound who nearly never misses a cue. Hardly. Despite having some capable assistance this year from Matt Cooper.

The programme is on the website here

As is the short bio’s video of the cast here

 Our next performance starting on 10th April is “Deathtrap” directed by Paul Taylor. A two-act thriller that is not to be missed. Please support this production and get your tickets.

 Onwards into the summer and Paul Taylor will be directing once more. He has chosen “Someone Who’ll Watch Over Me” by Frank McGuinness. The play focuses on the trials and tribulations of an Irishman, an Englishman and an American (Edward, Michael, and Adam) who are kidnapped and held hostage by unseen Arabs in Lebanon. There’s some info here. It will be playing from 10th to 13th June.

 The Trinity Juniors will be returning for a late summer show. Details are still to be finalised but it is expected to be on around 15th September 2019 and may be increased to two performances instead of just the one as last year but will still be based on voluntary contributions.

 As the nights draw in, we have invited Jane Laverack to direct “Murdered to Death” by Peter Gordon. It is a spoof of the Agatha Christie ‘whodunnit’ genre with 10 actors. Click here for more info. If we can find a local performance of this, we may organise a theatre trip. Stay tuned. The roles are below but as ever, ages, etc are flexible. It will be playing from 9th to 12th October.

1. Mildred – Late fifties. Moderately wealthy owner of Bagshot House.
2. Dorothy – Mildred’s niece. Late twenties and rather plain.
3. Bunting – The butler. Sixties. Pedantic and rather creepy.
4. Colonel Charles Craddock – Early sixties. Dresses in tweeds. Confident but blustering.
5. Margaret Craddock – The long-suffering but acerbic wife of Charles.
6. Elizabeth Hartley-Trumpington – Mid twenties. Attractive and stunningly dressed. Very high society.
7. Pierre Marceau – A french art dealer in his early thirties. An exaggerated french accent.
8. Joan Maple – A spinster in her sixties. Amateur sleuth.
9. Constable Thomkins – Young, bright uniformed village policeman.
10. Inspector Pratt – Inept, posing and clumsy.

We are still in discussion regarding next year’s pantomime but hope to announce that soon. 

As you know, we’re a forward thinking and on-the-ball committee and as such, we’ve planned into Spring 2020.  Helen Watson has kindly accepted to direct “Farndale Avenue Housing Estate Townswomen’s Guild Dramatic Society’s Production of Macbeth” by David McGillivray.  This is a play along the lines of ‘the play that went wrong’ and you can find more information here.  Exact dates are yet to be announced.

AGM 2019
Another matter of note is the forthcoming AGM which we’ve set for Wednesday, 24th July.

We are accepting proposals now from members. As ever, we will not be allowing proposals at the meeting and there will be no AOB so if you have a pressing issue you would like to be discussed, then please write to the committee in advance. So far we have the following:-
1. election of secretary
2. election of all committee members – excluding officers
3. commitment requirements for players during rehearsals
4. commitment requirements for committee members
5. charges for refreshments during rehearsals
6. a change in the payment terms of the donation we give to the church for rental of the hall, etc


2018 December – Newsletter

Trinity Hall

18th December 2018

Attending: Barbara Parkinson, Zena Athorn, Dale Rivers, Jim Parkinson, Neil Barham, Graham Myers, Joe Battye

Apologies: Hazel Armitage

Spring Clean
It was decided to arrange a spring clean and general repair of the hall on a Saturday in the spring 2019

Agreed to increase credit card booking fees so that customers pay the full fee.  At the moment, it’s set at 5% to the customer while Trinity pay the other 5%. 
Increasing ‘Pay on Arrival’ tickets to incentivise online purchases was discussed but deferred.

Zena has published an article in the Chron.  A facebook programme has been designed and scheduled for automatic publication.
An e-shot has gone out on Wednesday 19th Dec via MailChimp

Rehearsal Subscriptions
It was discussed to set a charge for teas, coffees and biscuits during rehearsals and this could be put in place immediately.
It was discussed to set a weekly subscription for play participants to cover costs of costumes, general and unexpected expenses.  It was agreed to submit this to the AGM.

DVDs prices will be set to £5 with £1 going to Neil to cover costs.
Joe asked if the camera equipment was up to standard. Neil replied it was so no further expenditure required.

Raffle Prices
We agreed to have two bouquet style prizes and a pair of tickets as raffle prizes during the year.  The pairs of tickets will be set up on the ticketing system in advance

Future Performance Dates
April 10th to 13th – Deathtrap directed by Paul Taylor
July 10th to 13th – no play or director set – proposals are invited
September 7th (potentially two shows) – Trinity Juniors lead by Joe Battye
October 9th to 12th – no play or director set – proposals are invited
January 17,18,19,24,25,26th January – Pantomime Beauty and the Beast

Committee Business
An email to go out to invite 2 temporary members
Joe Battye was elected to Vice Chair
Zena was elected to the Safe Guarding role
Front of house – there are gaps in the schedule although it is largely covered
Chaperones – unsure if we have sufficient.  To be advised

Next Meeting
Tuesday 29th January 2019

Any questions, ideas, comments or otherwise are always welcome to: committee@trinityplayersbarnsley.com


2018 October – Newsletter

Trinity Hall
8th October 2018

Attending: Joe Battye, Jim Parkinson, Neil Barham, Barbara Parkinson, Graham Myers, Dale Rivers, Zena Athorn, Ruth Willerton
Guest Director: Joanne Morfitt
Apologies: Hazel Armitage

PANTO – Scarlett and the Enchanted Forest
DR-Gary and the team have offered to purchase an entire show as last year.  DR has emailed Gary to request desired date – awaiting response

RW-Still compiling waiting list to see which kids can join.  Some chaperones have been lost this year but thought doable with existing numbers

Front of House
GM-Concerns over numbers of FoH volunteers and kitchen especially kitchen duties.  Also, lack of management.  Graham will nominate a house manager in future. 

Raffle pricing is 50p per ticket – decided to make it £1 per strip instead. Agreed to purchase raffle prizes instead of asking for donations

General State of Hall
NB-Requested to board up the windows as three are in bad repairs.  Denied as unlikely the church would agree so we will patch up as best as possible

ZA-Zena will arrange a get together for Saturday 27th October to clean kitchen, spruce up the entrance hall and patch up the windows.

NB-Suggested we build a raised platform for the rear of the hall – the last three rows.  Generally accepted as a good idea but require costs

Comfort and Joy
JP-Advised taking were in excess to £2,000.

Box Office
DR-Suggested incentivising online sales instead of current position where online sales are more expensive due to the booking fee (credit card charge).  Decision deferred since Panto tickets are already on sale

Trinity Quiz
Saturday 13th Oct.  45 members signed up already.  Adults only

Bonfire Night
Peter and Jeff to host a bonfire.  Decided to contribute £100 to fireworks.

Jane Laverack has resigned.  Zena has taken over the role.  The marketing plan was sent to Zena with full authority to update and amend as necessary.  To be agreed at next committee meeting

TPB have been asked to donate to a Dyslexia cause run by Vanessa Goddard.  Agreed to donate £20

Next meeting Wednesday 7th November 2018 at 7pm at the Trinity Hall

Any questions, ideas, comments or otherwise are always welcome to: committee@trinityplayersbarnsley.com


2018 August – Newsletter

Welcome to the Newsletter! July saw the AGM which was well attended, thank you all who attended on the evening. We have noted some actions from the meeting, and more importantly some general events below, happy reading 🙂

It was decided to send an email to the mail list advising us if they wished to be removed.
Ruth is managing the GDPR aspect of child protection and safeguarding.

Constitution and Committee
A motion will be proposed for new guidelines for committee members at the next AGM. It was decided that an EGM was not required at this stage. Joe Battye heading up Trinity Juniors and Hazel Armitage heading up the news letter were welcomed onto the committee. Graham is going to take charge of procuring the library card for obtaining future play scripts etc, and some front of house. Zena is to remain as Facebook champion in liaison with Jane as marketing manager. Ruth and Bob Willerton are to oversee the social events for the club and hope to get ideas from members, please do get in touch with any suggestions. 

The recent barbecue hosted by Bob and Ruth was a success and the weather for once was perfect:

Future Plays
3rd to 6th October 2018 – Comfort and Joy – not to be missed, this has nearly been fully cast just a couple of minor parts left to be snapped up (at the time of writing).
10th to 13th April 2019- Death Trap – Paul Taylor has offered to direct and licensing is being procured.
10th to 13th July 2019 – no play selected yet, ideas are welcome.

It was agreed to purchase some communication devices such as or similar to walkie talkies to aid communication between the Lighting “tower” and the stage manager, this will aid the lighting and sound people to do what they do best and also allow them easier communication with backstage.

Trinity Juniors
Joe Battye has started a group of children who will perform a short revue style play at the Trinity in October. Rehearsal dates will be over the summer. Please contact Joe Battye or Rachael Sharpe if interested. This is an exciting new venture for Trinity and we are glad to have Jo on board facilitating the new group for the youngsters.

Christmas Party
Ruth will look into booking the Talbot Inn in Mapplewell again as last year was very well received.

Any questions, ideas, comments or otherwise are always welcome to: committee@trinityplayersbarnsley.com